Overnight Oatmeal= My Go-To Breakfast!
My family eats A LOT of grains! We love grains like rice, quinoa and TONS of oats. Oatmeal is my go to breakfast for myself and the children most days. Unfortunately, my kiddos tend to wake up really unreasonable and grouchy unless I feed them immediately and give them something to drink. Having to cook for them is typically quite miserable with them having to wait for the food to get cooked. Thus, I started making overnight oatmeal so that everything would be ready for them as soon as they wake up. I've been doing this for almost a year and its worked great for us. Its easy , filling, and healthy!
The basic recipe is also very customizable and nearly foolproof. I don't even measure things out really. Here's the recipe:
- Old-Fashioned Oats (1c)
- Liquid (Use whatever type of milk your family likes to drink. We use Vanilla Almond Milk.)
- Sweetener (I usually put a heaping swirl of Maple Syrup, but you can use Agave, Honey...or whatever works best for you.) 1 1/2c
- Mix-Ins (Dried or Fresh Fruit, Nuts, Chia Seeds, Wheat Germ, whatever powdered supplements you want to sneak in there, the possibilities are endless.)
-Spices (I just use cinnamon for now, but please feel free to get creative. Nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, ginger or a pinch of cloves are good options.)
Super simple here guys. The night before, combine your oats and milk in a container. Try to keep the oats and liquid mixture to about 1c oats to 1 1/2c liquid, though I do vary my amounts depending on my desired end result. Add your mix-ins and spices and combine thoroughly. Cover your container and put it in the fridge to sit overnight. In the morning your oatmeal should be soft and creamy and READY TO EAT!
We like to eat our oatmeal cold right now because it is summer, but you can also warm it up on the stove or in the microwave if you like.
- Only add dried fruit or chia seeds (add more liquid if you use these) overnight. NEVER FRESH FRUIT. Add your fresh fruit and other mix-ins in the morning to reduce sogginess and discoloration.
- Feel free to adjust liquid to oat proportions to what you like!
- Mix and store your oat mixture in one of those small pots with a lid just in case you want to warm it up in the morning. Less dishes!
Give overnight oatmeal a try! Enjoy!